Affliction

From Darkest Dungeon Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
A Vestal becoming Irrational.
Madness... our old friend.
~ The Ancestor

An Affliction is one of the states a hero can enter upon reaching 100 stress, the other being a Virtue. Afflicted heroes will suffer severe stat penalties, and have a chance to be able to act on their own at the start of their turn. This action ranges from a random skill, to moving forward or backward, to passing a turn altogether. Afflicted heroes will also comment on actions during combat, causing stress to the party when they or an ally are attacked, or when an ally attacks. Out of combat, they may interact with curios, refuse to use camping skills, or even refuse to eat during a camping meal.

Accumulating stress doesn't stop after becoming Afflicted, and if a hero reaches 200 stress, they will have a heart attack, reducing their HP to 0 and putting them on Death's Door. If a hero has a heart attack on Death's Door, they will die instantly.

Afflictions can be cured in Town, by sending the hero to receive one of the stress relief options from the Abbey or Tavern. Afflictions can also be cured within a dungeon, by reducing the Afflicted hero's stress to 0 during an expedition.

List of Afflictions[edit | edit source]

All Afflictions (except Rapturous) lower Stun, Blight, Bleed, Disease, Debuff, Move, and Trap Resist by 15%, and reduce MAX HP by 10%. Since these are shared attributes, they are not listed in the table below.

Possible forced actions on the start of a hero's turn, called "act-outs," cannot happen two times in a row for the same hero, and two different heroes cannot have act-outs occur back-to-back. Only one possible action will be chosen, and is not rolled individually relative to other actions; e.g. for Fearful, there is a ~68.5% chance to have no special effect, and ~31.5% to have a forced action, which will be one of the three available options. Act-outs will not end a hero's turn (except for random actions and passing).

All comments and act-out barks will give 6 stress to the whole party (if the Afflicted hero was attacked, or if the bark is caused by an act-out), or to a single ally (if the comment was triggered by them attacking or them being attacked).

An important thing to note is that Afflicted heroes that refuse to use or be the target of camping skills will still use the Respite of the camping skill.

Affliction Stat Changes Act-outs Comments Other
Fearful
  • -25% DMG
  • +10 DODGE
  • +2 SPD
  • 31.5% total chance
    • 10.5% - Cause party stress
    • 10.5% - Move back 1
    • 10.5% - Pass turn
  • 20% - Hero is attacked
  • 20% - Ally is attacked
  • 20% - Ally's attack misses
  • 33% - Ally interacts with any curio
  • 33% - Refuse to be moved
  • 33% - Refuse to use a camping skill
  • 50% - Interact with "Worship" curios
Paranoid
  • -25% DMG
  • +10 DODGE
  • +2 SPD
  • 31.25% total chance
    • 9.4% - Cause party stress
    • 9.4% - Move back 1
    • 9.4% - Use a random skill
    • 3.1% - Attack an ally
  • 20% - Hero is attacked
  • 20% - Ally is attacked
  • 33% - Refuse to retreat
  • 33% - Refuse to be moved, healed, or buffed
  • 33% - Refuse to use an item
  • 33% - Refuse to eat at camp
  • 33% - Refuse to use or be the target of a camping skill
Selfish
  • -5 ACC
  • -10% DMG
  • +5 DODGE
  • 33.33% total chance
    • 8.3% - Cause party stress
    • 8.3% - Move back 1
    • 8.3% - Pass turn
    • 8.3% - Use a random skill
  • 20% - Hero is hit
  • 20% - Ally attacks
  • 33% - Ally interacts with any curio
  • 33% - Refuse to use a camping skill
  • 50% - Interact with "Treasure" curios (steals loot)
Masochistic
  • -15 DODGE
  • 33.33% total chance
    • 8.3% - Cause party stress
    • 8.3% - Move forward 1
    • 8.3% - Attack self
    • 8.3% - Mark self (2 rds)
  • 20% - Hero is attacked
  • 20% - Ally is hit
  • 33% - Ally interacts with any curio
  • 37.5% - Ally triggers a trap
  • 33% - Refuse to retreat
  • 33% - Refuse to be moved, healed, or buffed
  • 33% - Refuse to use an item
  • 33% - Refuse to eat at camp
  • 33% - Refuse to use or be the target of a camping skill
  • 50% - Interact with "Torture" curios
Abusive
  • -5 ACC
  • +20% DMG
  • -15 DODGE
  • 29.4% total chance
    • 23.5% - Cause party stress
    • 5.8% - Attack ally
  • 20% - Ally is hit
  • 20% - Ally attacks
  • 33% - Refuse to be moved
  • 33% - Refuse to use or be the target of a camping skill
Hopeless
  • -5 ACC
  • -5 DODGE
  • -3 SPD
  • 35% total chance
    • 5% - Cause party stress
    • 10% - Move forward 1 or back 1
    • 5% - Pass turn
    • 5% - Use a random skill
    • 5% - Attack self
    • 5% - Mark self (2 rds)
  • 37.5% - Ally triggers a trap
  • 33% - Refuse to retreat
  • 33% - Refuse to be buffed or healed
  • 33% - Refuse to use an item
  • 33% - Refuse to eat at camp
  • 33% - Refuse to use or be the target of a camping skill
Irrational
  • -5 ACC
  • -10% DMG
  • -5 DODGE
  • +2 SPD
  • 33.33% total chance
    • 5.2% - Cause party stress
    • 5.2% - Move forward 1 or back 1
    • 5.2% - Pass turn
    • 5.2% - Use a random skill
    • 1.7% - Attack ally
    • 5.2% - Attack self
    • 5.2% - Mark self (2 rds)
  • 20% - Hero is attacked
  • 20% - Ally is attacked
  • 20% - Ally attacks
  • 33% - Ally interacts with any curio
  • 37.5% - Ally triggers a trap
  • 33% - Refuse to retreat
  • 33% - Refuse to be moved, buffed, or healed
  • 33% - Refuse to use an item
  • 33% - Refuse to eat at camp
  • 33% - Refuse to use or be the target of a camping skill
  • 7.5% - Interact with any curio
RapturousExclusive to the Crimson Court DLC
  • +25% DMG
  • -20 DODGE
  • +3 SPD
  • 41.67% total chance
    • 8.3% - Cause party stress
    • 8.3% - Move forward 1
    • 8.3% - Use a random skill
    • 8.3% - Attack ally
    • 8.3% - Attack self
  • 20% - Hero is attacked
  • 33% - Refuse to retreat
  • 33% - Refuse to be moved or healed
  • 10% - Refuse to be buffed
  • 10% - Refuse to use an item
  • 33% - Refuse to use or be the target of a camping skill

Can only be acquired by the Flagellant, who will always
receive this Affliction after reaching 100 stress.

RefractedExclusive to the Color of Madness DLC
  • +20% Stress
  • -5 SPD
  • +15% Bleed Skill Chance
  • +15% Blight Skill Chance
  • Ignore Stealth
  • 39% total chance
    • 7.3% - Cause party stress
    • 7.3% - Move forward 1 or back 1
    • 7.3% - Pass turn
    • 2.4% - Attack ally
    • 7.3% - Mark self (2 rds)
    • 7.3% - Use a random item
  • 33% - Hero is hit
  • 33% - Ally is hit
  • 33% - Ally's attack hits
  • 33% - Ally interacts with any curio
  • 33% - Ally triggers a trap
  • 33% - Refuse to be healed or buffed
  • 33% - Refuse to eat at camp
  • 33% - Refuse to use or be the target of a camping skill

Can only be acquired by heroes who have been to the Farmstead.

Act-out Attacks[edit | edit source]

Self-attacks will always deal 10% of the hero's MAX HP, but will have no other effect.

Friendly attacks during act-outs have unique traits associated with them compared to other abilities. Each class's act-out attack will deal a different amount of damage, which is measured as a percentage of the target's MAX HP. Additionally, most heroes will inflict an effect, ranging from debuffs to blight to marks.

Heroes with the RefractedExclusive to the Color of Madness DLC Affliction will override any effects, and instead inflict Horror Horror 5. They will still deal the same amount of damage as a normal Affliction.

Class DMG Effect
Abomination 15%
Blight 120% Blight 3
Antiquarian 5%
Debuff 120% Debuff: -4 SPD
Arbalest 15%
Mark Mark Target (3 rds)
Bounty Hunter 10%
Mark Mark Target (3 rds)
Crusader 10%
Stun 120% Stun
Flagellant
Exclusive to the Crimson Court DLC
25%
Grave Robber 10%
Blight 120% Blight 2
Hellion 15%
Bleed 120% Bleed 3
Highwayman 20%
Houndmaster 15%
Bleed 120% Bleed 2
Jester 10%
Stress Stress +15
Leper 33%
Man-at-Arms 10%
Stun 120% Stun
Musketeer 10%
Mark Mark Target (3 rds)
Occultist 10%
Debuff 120% Debuff: -10 DODGE
Plague Doctor 10%
Blight 120% Blight 4
Shieldbreaker
Exclusive to The Shieldbreaker DLC
15%
Debuff 120% Debuff: -7 SPD
Vestal 10%
Debuff 120% Debuff: -10 ACC

Affliction History[edit | edit source]

A hero's chance to get a specific Affliction is influenced by which ones they have received before, known as their Affliction History. Every Affliction starts with a base weight value of 4 (except for RefractedExclusive to the Color of Madness DLC, which has a base weight of 3), for an equal chance to be obtained (14.2%, or 12.9% if Refracted is available). Whenever a hero becomes Afflicted, the weight to obtain that Affliction (e.g. Hopeless, Irrational, Abusive) increases by 2 (the percentage rising by approximately 4%-5% with diminishing returns for every subsequent addition). This continues indefinitely as long as heroes continue to gain Afflictions or Virtues.

You can increase the chance of multiple Afflictions: if a hero becomes Hopeless twice and Masochistic once, those now have total weights of 8 (23.5%) and 6 (17.6%) respectively.

The chance to get a Virtue over an Affliction (base 25%) is independent and is determined before Affliction History is taken into account. Virtues also have a base weight of 4, but increment by 1 rather than 2 when obtained.

See also[edit | edit source]

Trivia[edit | edit source]

  • Hopeless is named "depression" in the game files.