Bosses are large, difficult enemies which the player encounters in the Ruins, Weald, Warrens, or the Cove. There are also special bosses in the Darkest Dungeon, Courtyard and Farmstead.
Bosses tend to have a large health pool and have a gimmick that your party must get around.
There are two types of bosses; Bosses and Mini-bosses. Bosses are only encountered in missions that require you to slay the boss. Mini-Bosses are encountered in the hallways of any mission. There were only two Mini-Bosses, namely the Shambler and Collector, but after Crimson Court DLC introduced the Fanatic and Color of Madness DLC the Thing From The Stars, this number has gone up to four.
Unlocking bosses requires successful expeditions in the relevant location. The longer the expedition, the more progress is made towards unlocking the boss.
- For Apprentice bosses, successful short expeditions will increase the unlocking progress by 50%, medium by 75%, long by 100%.
- For Veteran bosses, successful short expeditions will increase the unlocking progress by 33%, medium by 50%, long by 67%.
- For Champion bosses, successful short expeditions will increase the unlocking progress by 25%, medium by 38%, long by *40%. *(source: ingame observation from July 8th, 2018, Bloodmoon difficulty).
- Excess unlock progression from expeditions which unlock the boss DO appear to carry over to the next boss. (egs. at 50% progression to unlock apprentice Hag, a medium mission will unlock the boss AND progress to unlocking the apprentice Brigand Pounder by 25%)
- When locating a boss, it is almost always the room farthest away from the entrance room. It is very rare to find a boss in a non-end room (excluding the warrens), but it does happen.
- Try to trigger the event that gives 15% damage before going on a boss quest. It can help you finish the quest more easily. Read the Town Events section for more information.
The Shambler and The Collector are bosses that can be found on any mission; however, they can only be found under certain circumstances;
- The Shambler can be found in 2 ways; either in a hallway encounter if the light is at 0, or if a torch is used on a Shambler's Altar.
- The Collector can only be found during a hallway encounter if the player's inventory is at least 65% full.
- For The Fanatic if you have 2 or 3 heroes infected, the chance of him appearing are 20% and 33% at medium and high infestation, respectively. If all four of your heroes are infected, there is a 75% chance at both medium and high infestation.
This article or section may contain spoilers about the final boss. You might want to avoid reading further if you don't want to spoil the surprise for yourself!