Flagellant could refer to the Quirk of the same name.
|“||If there was ever such a thing as ‘weaponized suffering’, then the Flagellant would be the term made flesh. This man is unique among the various classes in the sense that he thrives on the ruin of his mind and body. Whereas every sane member of your band of mercenaries aims to minimize wounds and disability by mitigation (armor) or avoidance (dodging), the Flagellant welcomes them. He will stand like a wall between his comrades and his foes, with his arms wide open, his body exposed, acting like a magnet for all harm that may come their way. His power lies within the martyrdom, and it is something that transcends physical laws: every action of violence that lands on his tortured corpus creates not an equal, but a far more potent reaction. He converts damage in either powerful healing for his allies, or horrifying punishment for his enemies in the form of insanely powerful bleeding attacks. And the more the minions of darkness try to end his life, the stronger he becomes, since his strength is at its summit when he himself is at the brink of death… or madness. How far are you willing to push him? Because the desire for power can cloud judgement, and sometimes pushing too far can have… dire consequences.||„|
|Movement||3 forwards, 1 backwards.|
|Crit Buff Bonus||+20% Bleed Skill Chance|
Orginally he, the Leper, Crusader, and Vestal, would not embark on missions if an Abomination is part of the party. However, since The Color of Madness DLC released, all religious characters can freely party with the Abomination
He also refuses to party with another Flagellant for "the burden of suffering cannot be shared".
Unique Attributes[edit | edit source]
- Rapturous: The only affliction the Flagellant can receive. Gives +25% damage, +3 speed, and -20 dodge. Can cause the Flagellant to randomly target enemies, other party members, or even himself, among other effects.
- A buff which activates when below 40% health which gives +20% Damage and +8% Crit.
- Upon reaching Death's Door, the Flagellant heals every other member of the party.
- If the Flagellant is killed, he will stun all enemies as his last act.
- As his name suggests, he will only use the Penance Hall for Stress Relief. This will always heal 100 stress, or 90 if "The Town is Abuzz!" Town Event is active.
Combat Skills[edit | edit source]
|“||The Flagellant belongs to an extremist faction within the church, and is generally regarded with a toxic mixture of fear, awe and disgust. The power he draws from martyrdom is as effective as it is unsettling - in one moment he is a fountain of healing renewal, and the next, a conduit of terrible wrath. His full potential is realized only the brink of madness... or death.||„|
Note: New Flagellants will always come with the Punish skill.
"Exhaustion" Debuffs (From "Exsanguinate" and "Redeem") cannot be cleared by Medicinal Herbs.
|Melee||0%||95||6%|| Bleed (100% base)
4 pts/rd for 3 rds
-20% Bleed Resist (100% base)
|Rain of Sorrows|
|Melee||-67%||95||2%|| Bleed (100% base)
3 pts/rd for 3 rds
-20% Bleed Resist (100% base)
|Melee||0%||90||3%|| Bleed (100% base)
5 pts/rd for 3 rds
| Heal 35% of HP|
-25% Healing received,
-25% Healing done, -3 SPD
|Limit:||Usable three times per battle and only when below 40% MAX HP|
|Heal 2 pt/rd for 2 rds|| Bleed (120% base)|
3 pts/rd for 3 rds
|Heal 33% Max HP|| Heal 35% of HP|
-25% Healing received,
-25% Healing done, -3 SPD
|Limit:||Usable two times per battle and only when below 40% MAX HP|
|-10 Stress|| +10 Stress
| Clear Marked Target
+6% Death Blow Resist
Camping Skills[edit | edit source]
|“|| Eschewing the company of others, the Flagellant turns his back to the fire, denying himself the comforts of its warmth. Instead, he whips himself mercilessly - this is a man locked in perpetual battle with his own flesh and blood.
| ~ Survivalist
Unlike other heroes, the Flagellant only has unique camping skills, giving him a total of 4. All of his camping skills target himself, either healing his health, his stress, or even raising his stress to bring him to his Rapturous state faster.
|1||Self Only||+40 Stress|
|Bark||"I have been chosen to suffer, so suffer I must!"|
|3||Self Only||-50 Stress|
|Bark||"I find comfort in the pain..."|
|3||Self Only||33% Heal HP|
+3 SPD (4 Battles)
|Bark||"A lover's kiss!"|
|2||Self Only||Removes Disease|
|Bark||"Let all foulness be purged from my sacred flesh!"|
Equipment[edit | edit source]
|“|| The Flagellant relishes the scars and abrasions that cover his body - drawing incomprehensible resilience from the tearing of his own flesh. His flail, a particularly cruel and merciless weapon, drips with his enemies' blood... and his own.
| ~ Blacksmith
Unlike other games, equipment upgrades in Darkest Dungeon are linear, all bought at the Blacksmith.
Each Hero has Trinkets unique to them that only they can equip. The Flagellant has seven; 2 uncommon, 2 Crimson Court and 1 common, rare and very rare. His normal trinkets are hoods and collars, and his Crimson Court trinkets are teeth and glass due to a beating he received from a drunken patron while begging for money.
The Crimson Court DLC added special Trinket Sets, two for each hero. They confer powerful bonuses to the hero equipped with them and having both equipped at once yields an additional bonus, which is shown greyed out at the bottom. The origin dungeon for all Trinket Sets is the Courtyard and they all have the rarity Crimson Court. The Shieldbreaker Trinket Set however is only obtainable through her final 6th and 7th Nightmare encounters and won't be dropped or given as a reward in the Courtyard.
The Color of Madness DLC added new trinkets with a new rarity, Crystaline. Each hero has their own unique crystaline trinket which can be bought from Jeweler inside the Nomad Wagon with Crystal Shards found within the Farmstead.
|Trinket Image||Trinket Name||Rarity||Class Restriction||Shard Cost||Effect||Additional Notes|
|Acidic Husk Ichor||Crystalline||Flagellant||65 Shards||
District Bonus[edit | edit source]
The gold cost of most Districts in Radiant Mode is significantly reduced. The price in Radiant mode is shown in parentheses.
|Altar of Light|| Crusader, Vestal and Flagellant receive:
Customization[edit | edit source]
As for every hero, the Flagellant has four different colour palettes to choose from: beige, red, white and black
Barks[edit | edit source]
Refusing to Embark with another Flagellant[edit | edit source]
- The burden of suffering cannot be shared!
Refusing Stress Healing in the Tavern, Cloister, and Transept[edit | edit source]
- Only the lash for me!
- Only in pain can one find enlightement.
- This is not the path to solace.
- I belong elsewhere.
In the Roster when Rapturous[edit | edit source]
- TRUE PURPOSE!
- Everything clarified!
Landing a Critical Hit[edit | edit source]
- I strike for the light!
- Guided by pain! Favored by the light!
- Feel my resolve!
- Blood for the burden! Bones for the Light!
- Darkness flees before the blood!
- The way guides my blows!
- Flee from the holy bearer, you impious fiends!
Becoming Rapturous[edit | edit source]
- The burden is infinite. All flesh must perish.
- As the burden grows, so too, does my purity.
- I am blessed with new clarity!
- Gladly do I accept this new trial! Blessed are the worthy!
- Through pain and agony, I drag myself to the Light!
- Blood washes my eyes and cleanses my vision!
- In this fragile, broken flesh infinite strength is revealed!
- What I once feared, I have become!
- Adversity has dissolved my mortal psyche and opened my skull to the Light!
- What is fear but a key to piety?
- Through pain, through agony - I drag myself to the Light!
- Blood washes my eyes and cleanses my vision, for the Light I suffer!
Stressing Party[edit | edit source]
- The Light shrinks from my inner vision and so follows my faith.
- So grows the burden! So grows my strength!
- Behold - the Light shines from my wounds!
- I see you all as profane corpses. A righteous fate for those who fear pain.
- Must the burden weigh on my mind as well as my body?
- I no longer need to be tested! See how I shine!
- Weaklings! Wear your wounds with honor!
- This one greets pain with arms wide open!
- I am the sun of salvation!
Damaging Party Member[edit | edit source]
- It falls to me to guide you back to the Light.
- Resist not the burden, for it will guide you better than any compass.
- I do not attack you. It is the light that seeks to purify you.
- Don't you see? The pain eases the burden.
- I envy the free flow of your blood.
- The burden must be borne by all!
- Purity guides my every act, shrink not from my blows!
Damaging Self[edit | edit source]
- Clear this mind. Clear this mind. Clear this mind.
- The light must burn brighter if we are to persist!
- Begone foul visions, flee before my flowing blood!
- I am set upon by tempting visions! Light guide me!
- I hesitated upon the path. Let the blood soothe my faith!
- I fear no burden.
- First the sacred wound, then the purifying salt, then the holy stitch.
- Pain cleaves away the basest instincts!
Marking Self[edit | edit source]
- Let it rain upon me!
Random Action[edit | edit source]
- I surrender to the Light!
- Whose will is so pure as to presume command?
- Do not question the way!
- Awash in my own sanguinity!
- The corrupt flesh rots the mind. Light guide me then!
- Whose will is more righteous?
- For it is written!
- I have studied my scars and divined the way, have you?
- All wounds lead to the Light!
- Reason is too weak to bear any burden! Release it!
Refuses to Retreat[edit | edit source]
- The flesh is mortal, embrace this and live forever.
- We must not stray from the path.
- Into rivers of blood this broken flesh must drown.
- We have feared thus the Light flickers and wanes.
- Do not pull me from this holy path!
- That way leads to darkness.
- To flee is to abandon all faith!
- I cannot waver, this flesh will be delivered!
Switching Position to the Front[edit | edit source]
- Fall behind me and test your flesh! Salvation can yet still find you.
- Sheep to the back! I am the shepherd!
- Forward unto the Light!
- Into the fire! I must purify myself in the crucible of faith!
- Pain! Suffering! Be mine!
- See me Light! Witness how I shrink not from the burden!
- "Through holy agony, bear thy impure flesh forward into the rending knives of the heretics!"
- "The way is found where the weapon cleaveth the flesh and lo it is worthy! Blood be thine true sign!"
- Anyone with true humility would advance with me!
Getting Hit by Enemy[edit | edit source]
- You justify my faith!
- Every blow steels my resolve.
- The light glows even brighter!
- Where faith goes, the blood must follow!
- Into the Light, then!
- Faith over steel!
- Each wound is a prayer heard!
- Pain is my compass!
- The way opens!
Enemy Missed Self[edit | edit source]
- I wait, ready for the burden!
- Is this a sign?
- The Light protects and shelters!
- Another test. I will not waver.
- So flows the way.
- Have I strayed? Light guide me!
Refuses to Get Buffed[edit | edit source]
- True strength is drawn from the burden.
- I bleed. I am strong.
- I am one with the weight, its strength flows through me.
- I cannot lean on another or I will lose the way!
Refuses to Get Healed[edit | edit source]
- Without blood there is no true salvation.
- This burden cannot be set aside.
- These wounds are my offering!
Refuses to Use Item[edit | edit source]
- I seek absolution, not temptation.
- Another temptation overcome.
- Another illusion.
- I must bear the burden - the weight of my sin.
Refuses to Move[edit | edit source]
- I will not flee these blows!
- This is a trial of faith!
- Faith is built on trials!
- Strength flows to those who stand with faith!
- Tempt me not into safety!
Camping Stress[edit | edit source]
- I can show you the points where the pain sings most sweetly!
- …and this holy man flayed himself with a single prolonged cut and so he ascended…
- I grieve when wounds clot and close, but rejoice at their re-opening.
- I trust my screams will not disturb your slumber.
- Pain is the Light's song, and agony is its blessing.
- To heal a wound is to fail the lesson.
- Has anyone seen my prayer caltrops?
- Who will sponge me with vinegar?
- Every stitch is an offering.
Refuses to Perform Camping Skill[edit | edit source]
- Faithless! Piety demands blood.
- If you cannot see the Light, then gouge your eyes!
- Worthless! Anyone can see you have shirked your burden.
- Stop! Faithless cur!
Refuses to be Target of Camping Skill[edit | edit source]
- The way requires the flow of blood.
- Why lighten the burden? Why deprive the soul?
- How dare you try to silence my choir of wounds?!
- Make yourself useful and pass me the salt.
Having a Heart Attack[edit | edit source]
- I've failed... I cannot bear it.
- The burden... it's too much!
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Despite the Reclaim skill saying "Heal", it does not appear to be boosted by trinkets that increase healing skills as it instead applies the effect Restoration for a specific amount. However buffing the hero's "Healing Received" will boost Reclaim's healing effects.
- The Flagellant shares his name with a Quirk that makes heroes only use the Penance Chamber for Stress Relief.
- The predetermined name for the Flagellant is Damian, which is most likely named after a saint of the same name who introduced flagellation to the Catholic Church.
- The Flagellant can only use the Penance Hall in the town for stress relief, despite no quirk forcing it.
- He is currently the only playable character to have a modified Death Blow resistance. Flagellant has a 73% passive chance to resist fatality while others have a 67% chance.
- No backer heroes exist within this class, because backer heroes are Kickstarter users suggestions before the original game was released; the other two are the Musketeer and the Shieldbreaker.
- The line "Blood for the burden! Bones for the Light!" is most likely a reference to followers of Khorne, the Chaos god of hate, rage, violence, and bloodshed from Warhammer and their battlecry; "Blood for the Blood God, skulls for the Skull Throne!"
|Heroes||Abomination Antiquarian Arbalest Bounty Hunter Crusader Grave Robber Hellion Highwayman Houndmaster Jester Leper Man-at-Arms Occultist Plague Doctor Vestal|
|DLC||Flagellant Shieldbreaker Musketeer|