Scouting has a chance of occurring whenever a new room is entered or certain curios are activated, making nearby unexplored areas less risky to traverse. A high scouting chance can also cause parts of the map to be already scouted at the start of an expedition.
Effect[edit | edit source]
When scouting is triggered, nearby rooms and corridors on the dungeon map will be revealed, showing their contents. Depending on the successfulness of the scouting, one or two (in case of critical scouting success) nearby corridors may be scouted. Scouting will always depart from the current position towards unexplored directions. Scouting is also the only way of revealing secret rooms, which can be revealed only during critical scouting success.
By scouting ahead, it is possible to reveal incoming dangers in advance, giving the player a chance to reroute to avoid unnecessary risks or save on torches by skipping empty rooms and corridors. Scouted traps are an easy source of stress heal for heroes with good disarm chance and scouted battles will prevent the party from being surprised.
Scouting chance[edit | edit source]
- A hero has no scouting chance value, the base scouting chance is always 25% upon entering a room for every party.
- There are ways to enhance it to make scouting events occur more frequently through the use of trinkets (Scouting Whistle being the trinket with the highest scouting increase and Ancestor's Map being the trinket with the highest potential as it works with any light level).
- Light is also an important factor in determining whether a scouting event will occur, with brighter light giving substantial increases to the scouting chance, at radiant light (>75% Torch) the scouting chance is increased by 15% compared to "Black as Pitch" at 0% for example.
- To save on torches or if the player wants to maintain a lower light level, it is advisable to raise the light level just before entering a room.
- Some camping skills can increase scouting chance significantly.
- Quirks of characters in a party can also increase the scouting chance in certain Locations.
- The effective scouting chance is calculated by just adding all scouting modifiers listed above to the base scouting chance of 25%.
- If your combined scouting chance is no more than 100%, then the chance of scouting two hallways ahead (critical scout) is always 50% if a scout procs.
- If your combined scouting chance is more than 100% (practically capped at 200%), then you will always scout and the chance of a critical scout is half of your scouting chance.